Category: Main Dish | Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 40 mins
Makes: Approx. 6 servings
This dish is prepared every Christmas by SOS mothers at the SOS Children’s Village in Lubango, Angola. It’s a holiday favorite and is sure to become yours too! This dish is made in one large pot, making it super savory and easy to put together for any family meal.
Did you know? Angola has one of the youngest populations in the world: nearly 70 percent of the population is below age 24.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large onion
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2 cups palm hash (a product of palm oil extraction)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lb. okra
1. Simmer chicken in water, being careful not to boil the chicken. Season the chicken as desired. Tip: We recommend garlic, salt, black pepper, lemon or vinegar.
2. Add the chopped onion, tomatoes and palm hash.
3. When the chicken is nearly done simmering, add the okra. Once the okra is cooked, the maumba is ready to be served.
4. Enjoy with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!