Category: Main Dish | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 1 hr
Makes: Approx. 4 servings
Wot is an Ethiopian stew often prepared with chicken, beef and lamb. This version features red lentils, making this wot a delicious vegetarian option!
Made with berbere, a spice mixture mad eof chili peppers, garlic, basil, rue and fenugreek, this dish is as flavorful as it is beautiful. Try misir wot with injera, and you have a traditional Ethiopian meal right at your fingertips!
Did you know? The Ethiopian calendar has thirteen months!
- 1 ½ cups red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. berbere spice
- 1 tbsp. sweet paprika
- Medium pot
- Saute pan
1. Bring the water to a simmer. Add the red lentils and cook for half an hour.
2. While the lentils boil, sauté the onion in olive oil until transparent. Add the minced garlic, berbere spice and cooked lentils. Cook for another half an hour.
3. Right before serving, add the paprika to give the wot its red color and smoky flavor. Serves 4.
4. Enjoy with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!