Category: Main Dish | Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 1.5 hrs
Makes: Approx. 8 servings
This South African dish is a healthy and delicious option for large groups of people. Bobotie incorporates a variety of flavors that gives it a wonderful depth and complexity without being overwhelmingly spicy!
There are eight SOS Children’s Villages in South Africa! You can read more about our work in South Africa here.
Did you know? South Africa is the only country in the world to have hosted the soccer, cricket and rugby world cups!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric or ginger
- 2 thick slices of bread, crumbled (bigger than breadcrumbs but smaller than croutons)
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- Juice and rind of ½ a lemon
- 3 eggs
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 oz. dried apricots, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 ½ oz. slivered onions
- 6 bay leaves
- Rice or mashed potatoes (optional)
- Large casserole dish
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
1. Set the oven to 325 F. Butter a large casserole dish.
2. Heat 1 tbsp butter in a saucepan. Fry the onion and garlic until translucent. Stir in the cumin and turmeric and cook briefly until fragrant. Take the saucepan off the heat.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the ground beef, bread, ¼ cup milk, lemon juice, 1 egg, 1 tsp salt, pepper, apricots, apples, golden raisins and almonds. Add them to the onion and spice mixture, incorporating thoroughly.
4. Transfer the bobotie mixture to the greased casserole dish and place the bay leaves on top. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, get the topping of 1 cup milk, 2 eggs and ½ tsp salt ready by whisking them together in another bowl. Take the bobotie out of the oven, uncover it and pour the egg mixture on top. Return it to the oven, for another 15 minutes on 400 F.
6. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes. Serves 8.
7. Enjoy with friends and family!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!