Category: Dessert | Prep Time: 2.5 hours | Cook Time: 45 mins
Makes: Approx. 8-10 servings
Guava is a popular fruit in Latin America, where there are 41 SOS Children’s Villages. Guava cake makes excellent use of the abundant fruit both within the cake and in the decorative guava gel on top! Sweet, fruity and quick to make, guava cake is perfect for summer cook-outs and picnics! It's sure to become a family favorite.
Did you know? Guava is a super fruit! Guavas contain 4x more fiber than a pineapple, 4x more Vitamin C than an orange, and are rich in antioxidants and potassium!
- 1 package of yellow or strawberry cake mix
- Cake ingredients as per chosen mix
- Guava juice (substitute the amount of water needed for your cake mix with guava juice)
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 small package of whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups guava juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 medium saucepan
- Electric hand-mixer (optional)
- Piping bag (optional)
1. Bake the cake according to package directions, substituting guava juice for water.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with hand mixer until fluffy.
3. Add sugar and vanilla and beat together.
4. Slowly fold in the whipped topping and refrigerate until ready to use. Tip: Icing the cake works best if you let the icing refrigerate for at least two hours.
5. In a medium saucepan, bring the two cups of guava juice and sugar for the guava gel to a boil.
6. Make a paste out of the cornstarch and a small amount of water.
7. Remove the guava juice from heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture.
8. Return to heat and bring back to boil for one minute.
9. Cool in the refrigerator.
10. Once cooled, thickly ice the cake with all of your cream cheese icing mixture.
11. Glaze the top of the iced cake with the guava gel. Tip: To keep the gel on the cake and to make it look more decorative, pipe some of your icing around the top of the cake and fill the gel in the middle.
12. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
13. Enjoy with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe. Join our cause!