Sugar cookies are a holiday tradition for many families in the USA and are enjoyed by SOS Children's Villages in Florida and Illinois! Make this recipe a favorite family activity by picking out fun cookie cutters and decorating the cookies by hand. The scent of freshly baked cookies in your home is sure to bring the whole family together!
This easy recipe is great for making a quick batch of cookies, and the dough can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer or refrigerator. Using only a handful of simple ingredients, sugar cookies are a great treat year-round.
Did you know? Sugar cookies date as far back as 7th century Persia, but the sugar cookie as we know it today was popularized by 18th century German settlers in Pennsylvania!
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Frosting (optional)
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 baking sheet
- Saran Wrap
- Rolling pin
- Cutting board (optional)
- Electric hand mixer (optional)
- Fun cookie cutters (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Tip: when you properly cream together butter and sugar, you are also adding air to the mixture, which will make your cookies fluffier. Plus, you will get more cookies out of a single batch!
- Slowly mix in the eggs and vanilla, using an electric hand mixer if you have one handy. Add in the baking powder, salt and vanilla until a firm dough forms.
- Cover your dough with Saran Wrap and chill for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator or overnight.
- When your dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 400 F. Flour a cutting board or non-stick surface and roll out your dough until it is about ½ inch thick. Cut your dough into shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place your cut-out cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes. Cool completely before frosting or coating in sugar. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
- Enjoy your cookies with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!