Category: Breakfast/Side | Prep Time: 1.5 hrs | Cook Time: 15 mins
Makes: Approx. 10 pancakes
Roti Canai is a type of Indian-influenced flat bread found in Malaysia and Indonesia. It is extremely easy to make and is very filling! This dish is an excellent choice for a breakfast or late-night supper. Be sure to include butter, cheese or jam with your spread!
Did you know? Roti Canai’s origins have been traced to the Indian sub-continent, and likely Pakistan!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. soft butter or oil
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp. milk
- 3-4 tbsp. water
- Oil for frying
- Butter, cheese or jam, for topping (optional)
- 2 medium bowls
- Fryer or thick bottomed pan and stovetop
1. Stir together the dry ingredients and cut in the soft butter or oil.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and water. Mix your wet ingredients into the dry and knead it all together until it forms a firm dough. Continue kneading until the dough becomes smooth.
3. Roll the dough into a 1 ½ inch tube and cut into 10 even pieces. Cover the pieces well and let them rest for about 1 hour in your refrigerator.
4. After the pieces have rested, roll each one into a very thin circle. Heat your oil in a fryer or a thick-bottomed pan. Fry each circle in oil until golden brown.
5. Serve the roti canai warm with butter, cheese or jam. Makes 10 flatbreads.
6. Enjoy with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!