Category: Side/Appetizer | Prep Time: 10 mins | Makes: Approx. 4 servings
Caprese salad is one of the easiest and most refreshing salads out there. Inspired by the flavors of the Italy, where we have seven SOS Children’s Villages, caprese is a simple mixture of tomatoes and mozzarella, garnished with basil, olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette! Add this delicious salad as a side or appetizer to any summer gathering. For the freshest ingredients, you can even grow the basil and cherry tomatoes in your own home garden!
Did you know? Caprese salad dates back to post-World War I Italy, when a patriotic mason wanted to create a dish that represented the Italian tricolor flag with traditional ingredients!
- 14 oz. ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella (or cigelini)
- 20-30 fresh basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Serving dish
- Toothpicks (optional)
1. Halve the cherry tomatoes.
2. Cube the fresh mozzarella and mix it in with the tomatoes.
3. Add the basil leaves to the mixture and drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette.
4. Enjoy with family and friends! Tip: If you’re having a party, caprese can be the perfect handheld appetizer. Simply leave the cherry tomatoes whole and use cigelini (small balls of mozzarella). Using toothpicks, skewer the cherry tomatoes and cigelini, putting a basil leaf in between. Place on a serving platter and drizzle with olive oil and vinaigrette)
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe. Join our cause!