Category: Dessert | Prep Time: 1.5 hrs | Makes: Approx. 4 servings
This French dessert is light, creamy and full of chocolate. The espresso highlights the chocolate perfectly, and a garnish of unsweetened whipped cream cuts through the sweetness of the mousse.
Mousse is also easy to portion beautifully: place the finished mousse into a large plastic bag, cut the end off one of the bag tips, and you can pipe the mousse into your serving dishes! Place your mousse into decorative dishes for a dessert that really stands out.
Did you know? “Mousse” means “froth,” or “foam,” in French!
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. espresso
- ¾ cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 ½ tsp. sugar
- Double boiler
- Medium bowl
1. Combine chocolate, salt and coffee in top of a double boiler. Stir until melted.
2. In a separate bowl, beat your separated egg yolks until very light and form stiff peaks.
3. Gradually beat the chocolate mixture into your egg yolks. Stir in vanilla and cool to room temperature.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
5. Fold into chocolate mixture. Whip the cream and sugar together and fold half of it into the mousse.
6. Use the other half for garnish, or store in an airtight container for later use. Makes 4 servings.
7. Enjoy with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!