Mexico City

SOS Children’s Villages supports individual children, young people and families so that they can thrive (photo: SOS Children’s Villages Mexico).

The capital of the country and of the state of Mexico, Mexico City has an urban population of 9 million inhabitants and 22 million in the greater metropolitan area. It is the world’s largest Spanish-speaking city and sixth largest urban agglomeration. Here, high-rise buildings stand beside shanty towns, and many social problems affect the lives of local families. Every day, migrants arrive in Mexico City looking for opportunities. Children and young people who move here with their families, often end up living in poor housing with little access to education, healthcare or ways to improve their future.

Since 1971, SOS Children’s Villages has been supporting children, young people and families and advocating for their rights in Mexico City.

Of official complaints are related to domestic violence

Children exposed to violence

Life in a big city can be very hard, and home should be a safe place to retreat to. However, domestic violence is on the rise in the Mexico City metropolitan area, with 11% of the total complaints addressing domestic violence issues. That’s more than twice the average in Morelia, another city to the west of Mexico City, for example. Children who witness domestic violence at home are themselves often affected by it directly. Families need support so that children can grow up in safe and protective homes, free from violence or abuse.

Of people are not covered by social security

Children without medical care

Huge contrasts can be seen in Mexico City. This is also true regarding access to health care. Only 35% of the broader Mexico City population benefit from social security coverage. This leaves 65% without an affiliation to health services – including children. But the difficulties go beyond medical care. Thousands of families continue to live in slums, unable to meet basic needs such as sanitation, food, and adequate housing. Children growing up in these conditions are particularly vulnerable to dropping out of education, having to work, or getting pulled into criminal activities.

Your support makes a difference for children in Mexico City

SOS Children’s Villages works with local partners and communities to offer a wide range of support that is adapted to the local context. We always work in the best interest of the children, young people and families.
Can take part in our trainings
Children and young people
Grow up in our care
Young people
Are supported on their way to independence
Having access to online learning and the internet is crucial for the education of children and young people (photo: SOS Children’s Villages Mexico).

How your support helps in Mexico City

Strengthening families and communities
When parents face hardships, they can sometimes struggle to give children the care they need. SOS Children’s Villages works with local partners and communities. Each family needs different support so that they can stay together. This support can include workshops on parenting and children’s rights. We also run training so that parents can get the skills they need to get a job or start their own businesses. Likewise, we ensure that children can get medical help and go to school.
Providing quality education and training
To SOS Children’s Villages ensures that children and young people have access to high-quality education. We help them learn and develop in a safe and supportive environment. We train teachers on children’s rights and child-centered learning. Adults who seek our support can take part in our workshops and training, so that they can improve their employment situation.
Caring for children who cannot live with their families
Some children cannot stay with their families, even with additional support. When this happens, they can find a new home in SOS Children’s Villages. Here the children can build safe and lasting relationships. All the children in our care have access to education and healthcare. Wherever possible, we work closely with the children’s family of origin. If children can return to live with their families, we help them adapt to this change.