- In 2017, 15,000 children under the age of 5 died every day; that's equivalent to 1 child every 17 seconds (WHO).
- Leading causes of death in under-5 year olds are birth complications, pneumonia, birth asphyxia, diarrhea and malaria. About 45% of child deaths are linked to malnutrition (WHO).
- 2.7 million children die every year in the first month of life, and a similar number are stillborn (WHO).
- Children represent roughly a third of the world's population but account for almost half of all people living in extreme poverty (UNICEF).
- An unprecedented 68.5 million people have been forced from their homes. Among them are nearly 25.4 million refugees, over half of whom are children (UNICEF).
- 10,000 unaccompanied migrant children are missing in Europe (Europol).
WAR & CONFLICT
- There are over 250 million children living in countries affected by conflict (UNICEF).
- 1 in 4 of the world's children live in a conflict or disaster zone (UNICEF).
- One person becomes displaced every 2 seconds - that's 30 people who are newly displaced every minute (UNHCR).
HOW SOS CHILDREN'S VILLAGES HELPS
SOS builds loving, stable families for orphaned, abandoned and other vulnerable children in 135 countries, including the United States.
OUR COMPREHENSIVE APPROACH
We are the largest nongovernmental organization dedicated to the care of orphaned and abandoned children, with 70 years of expertise.
Our comprehensive approach – preventing child abandonment, offering long-term care for children in need and empowering young people with the resources to reach their full potential – transforms the lives of millions of children and families worldwide each year.
We help families and communities become stronger. At SOS, we combine short-term aid and long-term guidance to strengthen families so they are better able to care for their children and to protect them from child labor, child trafficking and other threats to their safety.
Belonging to a family means growing up feeling safe to be yourself and dream freely about your future. Children who lack family care can become part of a new family at one of our SOS villages, join an SOS-supported foster family or be cared for by relatives who benefit from SOS services.
We set young adults up for success. To increase youth employability and unlock young adults' full potential, SOS provides education, life skills development, vocational and entrepreneurship training, soft skills development, access to internships, mentoring and more.
SOS advocates for children's rights, voices and lives. We work with other development agencies, governments and communities to advance initiatives that help children and families, and to raise awareness about the rights of children and the responsibilities of those around them.
Every donation helps our mission to support orphaned children across the globe! Join our cause!