How we help: SOS projects in Africa
Hunger, HIV / AIDS, wars: Countless children in Africa have to grow up without parents and in poverty. The SOS Children's Villages have been providing urgently needed help in Africa for more than 40 years. As early as 1971, the first children's village on the African soil was built in Abobo-Gare in Ivory Coast. Djibouti is the youngest country where the SOS Children's Villages became active. SOS helps in 46 African countries:
- 147 SOS Children's Villages : In the villages find 16,730 orphaned and abandoned girls and boys a home. The children grow up in SOS families, with a children's village mother and siblings.
- 156 youth services : 7,641 young people from the SOS Children's Villages live there while undergoing training or attending secondary school.
- 228 Social Centers and Projects of the SOS Family Strengthening Programs: To save families in need from being broken, the SOS Children's Villages in Africa provide help for self-help. 121,570 children receive such a perspective. Through advice and educational services, SOS Social Centers reach another 109,326 children and parents. Supporting families in need of HIV / AIDS is an important focus of SOS work in many African countries.
- 123 kindergartens look after 13,706 girls and boys.
- 116 schools : 55,027 children attend classes there.
- 25 vocational training centers train 6,859 young people and adults and train 3,978 local SOS employees.
- 63 medical centers performed 750,735 treatments last year. Our medical staff often provided life-saving help to children, pregnant women and parents.
13 emergency relief programs are currently available to children and their families in disaster and crisis areas: 325,216 relief services include, for example, relief supplies for families, child care in emergency accommodation or the protection and admission of unaccompanied children.
Help children in need!
Give a gift to needy children: Support the work of the SOS Children's Villages in Africa - help with your donation or sponsorship!
SOS Children's Villages is active in the following African countries. Please click on your country of interest to learn more about the work of SOS Children’s Villages there.