Category: Main Dish | Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 1.5 hrs
Al Kabsa is a dish made with rice and meat. It can often be found served in Yemen, Somalia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Packed with spices, this incredibly aromatic and flavorful dish is sure to please! It is cooked all in one pot, making preparation a cinch.
Did you know? Al Kabsa is the national dish of Saudi Arabia!
- ½ tsp. saffron
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- ½ tsp. dried whole lime powder
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 lb. chicken
- ¼ cup tomato puree
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 ¼ cups hot water
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 2 ¼ cups unrinsed basmati rice
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- Small bowl
- Large stock pot or Dutch oven
1. Mix together the saffron, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice, white pepper and lime powder in a small bowl. Set spice mix aside.
2. Melt the butter in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the chicken and brown over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
4. Mix in the tomato puree. Then stir in the canned tomatoes with their juice, grated carrots, whole cloves, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper and spice mix. Cook for about 3 minutes, then pour in the water and add the chicken bouillon cube.
5. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered. Simmer until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 30 minutes.
6. Gently stir in the rice. Cover the pot and simmer until the rice is tender and almost dry, about 25 minutes. Add the raisins and a little more hot water, if necessary.
7. Cover and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the rice grains are separate. Transfer the rice to a large serving platter and arrange the chicken pieces on top. Sprinkle the toasted slivered almonds over the dish.
8. Enjoy with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!