JOLLOF RICE WITH SHRIMP
Category: Main Dish | Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 1 hr
Makes: Approx. 6 servings
Jollof rice, a popular dish throughout West Africa, is also known as Benachin in Wolof. Nigeria, Ghana and Liberia all have their own version of the delicious rice dish.
Jollof rice is often served with fried plantain or salad. It makes for a delicious and complex main course for any day of the week! Made in a single pot, it’s an easy meal that is sure to become one of your favorites!
Did you know? August 22nd is World Jollof Rice Day!
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 carrots
- ¼ red onion
- ¼ yellow onion
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 14 oz. can chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- ¼ lb. peeled, de-veined and cooked shrimp
- 2 cups peas
- 2 cups long grain rice, such as basmati
- Fried plantains or salad (optional)
1. Dice the red pepper, carrots and onions.
2. In a large pot, add just enough oil to coat the bottom and place it over medium heat.
3. Add the vegetables, diced tomatoes, seasonings, broth, tomato paste and water. Cook on low for 20-30 minutes.
4. After the vegetables have simmered, add the peas, shrimp and rice. Cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked.
5. Serve with fried plantains or a salad and enjoy! Serves 6.
6. Enjoy with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!