TURKEY SCALOPPINI WITH APPLES
Category: Lunch/Dinner | Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
Makes: Approx. 6 Servings
Turkey is a traditional dish served during Thanksgiving in the United States! Enjoyed by SOS Children’s Villages in Florida and Illinois, apples paired with the flavors of orange and pecan make this dish impossible to resist. We’re sure our turkey scaloppini will become an instant fall favorite! Our take on this traditionally Italian dish uses turkey, but beef, veal or chicken are also common meats used in scaloppini. An easy recipe for a delicious dish, turkey scaloppini is a great way to add zest to your turkey recipes!
Did you know? “Scaloppa” means a small scallop, such as a thinly sliced cut of meat, in Italian!
- Flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1 ½ lb. turkey scallopine, pounded thin
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, halved and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp water
- Strips of orange rind for garnish
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- Parsley, chopped
- 3 medium mixing bowls
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 large skillet
- 1 serving dish or platter
1. Season flour with salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, mix breadcrumbs and pecans.
3. In the third mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs.
4. Dredge turkey in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip turkey in eggs, then coat with breadcrumb mixture.
5. In a large skillet, sauté the apple over moderately high heat in ½ tbsp butter and ½ tbsp oil for 2 minutes until crisp and tender. Transfer to a platter and keep warm, covered.
6. Cook turkey in the skillet in batches over moderate heat in remaining butter and oil for 1-2 minutes each side until it is just firm to the touch. Transfer to the platter and keep warm, covered.
7. Wipe out the pan, add the orange juice and chicken stock. Boil until reduced by half.
8. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water and add to sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
9. Arrange turkey and apple slices on a platter. Spoon sauce over turkey. Garnish with parsley and orange rind.
10. Enjoy with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!