Category: Main Dish | Prep Time: 2.5 hrs | Cook Time: 10 mins
Makes: Approx. 5 servings
Originally served in Java, satay is a delicious dish of seasoned, skewered meat. It is popular in Thailand and Malaysia and is even the national dish of Indonesia! Easy and healthy, this chicken satay with peanut sauce is sure to please friends and family and is an excellent international addition to your barbecue rotation!
Did you know? Chicken satay can be served in a variety of sauces, but is often served in a combination of soy and peanut sauce -- so much so that peanut sauce is often called 'satay sauce'!
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- ¾ lb. chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk, divided into 1 cup and ½ cup
- 1 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. curry powder, divided into 1 tbsp. and ½ tbsp.
- 1 ½ tsp. brown sugar for marinade, ¼ cup for peanut sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- Peanut sauce, to taste (optional)
- Large bowl
- Medium saucepan
1. Stir together ½ cup coconut milk, garlic, 1 tsp. curry powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper until the sugar has dissolved. Toss marinade with the chicken, cover and marinate for at least 2 hours.
2. Bring 1 cup coconut milk, 1 tbsp. curry powder, peanut butter, chicken stock and ¼ cup brown sugar to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and soy sauce. Season to taste with salt.
3. Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Thread marinated chicken onto skewers and then grill 4-5 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Serve with warm peanut sauce. Makes 5 servings.
4. Enjoy with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!