Category: Lunch/Dinner | Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins
Makes: Approx. 4 servings
Fried rice is a quick and tasty dish of Chinese cuisine. Our version is made with mushrooms and shrimp, but you can add any protein or vegetables that suit your tastes! This dish is enjoyed by our ten SOS Children’s Villages in China, which provide services for more than 1,100 children in their regions. Taking such little time to make, and packed with protein, this dish is sure to be a go-to to fill you up! Our version of fried rice works well when you need to whip up a quick weekend meal for your friends and family. You can also make it ahead of time and freeze it!
Did you know? Fried rice is believed to have been invented during the Sui dynasty (A.D. 589-618)!
- 4 cups long grain rice
- 1 tsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 8 cups boiling water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- ½ lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups broccoli, cleaned and chopped
- 1 bok choy, cleaned and chopped
- Oil for frying
- ½ lb. peeled, deveined, cooked shrimp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Large frying pan
- Large frying pan cover
- Medium frying pan
1. Mix the rice with the powdered sugar, 1 tsp. soy sauce and 1 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat until the rice is just lightly browned.
2. Pour the boiling water into the frying pan and cover, allowing the rice to simmer until the water has evaporated and the rice is tender.
3. Meanwhile, sauté the onions, shallots, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli and bok choy in oil until tender and translucent. Add the cooked veggies and shrimp to the rice and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Tip: you can substitute shrimp with chicken, sausage, beef or pork!
4. Enjoy with family and friends!
Every donation helps us feed our SOS children across the globe! Join our cause!