SOS Children’s Villages ensures that children grow up with the care, protection and relationships they need to become their strongest selves (photo: SOS Children’s Villages Kosovo).

The Republic of Kosovo is a landlocked state in the Balkans region, and a landlocked country in south-east Europe. Kosovo is home to 1.8 million people, most of whom are ethnic Albanians, with significant minorities of Bosnians and Serbs. Roughly 60% of the country living in rural communities with the remaining 40% based in urban centres.

SOS Children’s Villages has been supporting children and young people without parental care, or at risk of losing it, in Kosovo since 2004.

Children are at risk

Kosovo has one of the youngest populations of Europe, where 24% of the population are under 14 years old, almost 30% are under 18 years and around 40% are under 25 years. However, Kosovo spends just 9% of its Gross Domestic Product on social protection, this is a third of the European Union average. As a result, children’s access to health, education and other social services remains limited, especially for the disadvantaged, including minorities, those with disabilities or living in rural areas
1 in 4
Children are at risk of poverty in Kosovo

Child poverty

Kosovo remains one of the lowest-income countries in Europe, with around 20% of the population facing poverty and 5% extreme poverty. Children are disproportionately affected, with almost 25% vulnerable to poverty, including more than 7% living in extreme poverty and deprivation. Children who live in poverty may face long-term effects in terms of educational outcomes, their physical and intellectual development, and their psychological health.

4 in 5
Children miss out on early education in Kosovo


The number of young children in early education programmes is very low in Kosovo. Around 5% of young children aged 0-5 attend preschool and 19% attend preschool and pre-primary. As a result, only 18% of children aged 3-6 have sufficient levels of literacy and numeracy. Early childhood education can be particularly beneficial for disadvantaged children, setting them up for success in the further stages of education, as well as contributing to their development and social inclusion.

1 in 2
Young people are unemployed in Kosovo

High unemployment

Unemployment is one of the greatest risk factors for poverty. Over 25% of the population are unemployed, and almost 50% of young people aged 15-24 years. In addition, it is estimated that up to 40% of people are in informal, and thus insecure, employment. Youth unemployment is linked to a long-term reduction in their wages and an increased likelihood of subsequent periods of unemployment. It can also mean poorer physical and mental health outcomes for young people.

Together we can make a difference for children in Kosovo

Adults and children
Are supported in the community
Young people and adults
Attend our trainings
Grow up in our care
Young people
Are supported on their way to independence
Playing outside in the garden. SOS Children's Villages supports families in creating an enabling environment where their children can develop and flourish (photo: SOS Children’s Villages Kosovo).

Working together for sustainable development

In 2015, leaders from 193 countries committed to the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This 15 year plan aims to improve the lives of people by ending poverty, fighting inequality and protecting the planet.
GOAL 1: End poverty
SOS Children’s Villages supports families and communities to keep families together and to help them break out of the cycle of poverty.
GOAL 4: Ensure quality education for all
Every child and young person SOS Children’s Villages supports has access to education, from kindergarten right up to vocational training or university.
GOAL 8: Equal job opportunities for all
SOS Children’s Villages supports young people in developing the skills and self-confidence they need to find decent work and train parents so that they can have a stable income.
GOAL 10: Reduce inequalities
SOS Children’s Villages works to keep children safe by promoting peaceful and inclusive communities. We provide training on children’s rights and positive parenting. .
GOAL 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies
We advocate laws and practices that ensure social inclusion and protection for children and young people without parental care or from marginalized households.

Let’s keep on protecting children and young people!

Many children have been able to find a safe and secure home. With your help, we can continue to change their lives